Sunday, January 8, 2012

The blog title

I chose this name because its true. I've recently started over in my life and I although this was originally a plan B for my life and career I have recently realized that things change for a reason and I have come to this point because I was meant to be here. Its funny how you are so convinced that you know what you want from life and you know where you are going and what you are going to do but then one day God knocks you on your butt and says "nope, try again, this isn't where you are meant to be" and you know what? He was right and I think he brought me here for a reason. So to catch everyone up:
October 2010 I made the decision to not go back to medical school, it was a hard decision but a necessary one. After spending a few weeks in bed I picked myself up and started over. I took the GRE and applied to graduate schools. I was accepted to Miami University in Oxford Ohio as a Microbiology PhD candidate along with three other schools who also accepted me for programs in anatomy. I made my pro/con lists and decided oxford was the place for me so in July I packed up my stuff and my big brother Ray helped move me to a cute little one bedroom apartment

It wasn't long before I knew I had made the right choice. I actually began to feel like I felt in here and like I had finally found my niche if you will. It felt good to feel intelligent again too: Lecom always made me feel inferior but here I was doing well on exams and I actually like the staff and faculty.
Im even teaching: can you believe it? Last semester I taught an Intro to microbiology lab and it actually turned out pretty well I think. I thought I'd like teaching but now I know I kinda sorta love it. I may just keep with it.
I ended up joining the Rachael Morgan-Kiss Lab and I am currently studying antarctic alga specifically UWO also known as Chlamydamonas which grows and prospers in Antarctic lakes. I am actually going to be going there next October to do research for six weeks which I am super excited about.
I also began my work out regime again which feels good. I run 3-5 days a week and I recently fell in love with my Wii Fit Yoga on top of that workout. The endorphins are beginning to feel good again and I have already dropped a jean size since I left Erie. I keep feeling like so many things about Erie was bad for me.
Semester 1 ended on a pretty good note: not only was I doing well in school and getting into shape again but I met a boy. I left a lot of love issues and pains and confusions back home when I came here and to be honest I wasn't really looking for anything. I wasn't dating and I was enjoying my single life and living on my own and whatnot but again God intervened and dropped this wonderful man into my lap. His name is Phil and I am head over heels crazy for him. He was getting over some stuff too and wasn't really looking for a girlfriend either but somehow or another our paths crossed and we were brought together. There has to be some fate in all of this.

Aren't we all cute and stuff
He came home and met the folks for the first time over Christmas and of course they love him. I loved meeting his family too and get this: he has a sister named Amber - insert massive confusion here haha but so far so good and they just call me Amber Grace to distinguish and I kinda sorta love it. Anyways, he makes me happy again and I can see so many wonderful things happening here.
Second semester starts tomorrow: I am taking a Microbial Ecology class which my boss teaches and I am pretty excited about. Also I am teaching the same course as last semester so that will make it a lot easier. Research is looking great and I may have a paper out soon. Phil is close by and things are looking good. I don't think I've been this happy for years. Things are good and Im going to do my best to keep it that way.
I know everyone says blogging went out 5-10 yrs ago but it when have I ever cared what people think? Read if you want, don't if you don't! Its my new stress reliever and it makes me happy so hopefully we'll see if we can get an update in every week.

"If God brought you to it, he will bring you through it"

1 comment:

  1. Amber,

    I am so glad that things are working out for you. You sound amazingly happy and I miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete